Thursday, December 10, 2009

Love in the Rain

Well now, what lovelier scene of human affection can one imagine than this? Made all the lovelier, and more poignant, by the rain, which as we know is no respecter of human emotion. A young couple expressing their love for each other and getting soaked to the skin doing so. The rain gives added vibrancy to almost any scene or image, be it joyful, sad, funny or just plain ordinary. Imagine this same scene minus the rain. The magical effect of the rain on the car lights and their dazzling reflections in the puddles would be absent. The resolve of the lovers to express their love in the face of stormy weather adds a thrill to the whole tableau that would otherwise be missing. And their increasingly sodden clothes and hair would not sound a note of stoicism for the cause of true love were it not for the pouring rain.
You're young, in love, and in the rain... and feeling great to be alive. So let it rain, who cares? And the wetter you get the more in love you feel and the more you want to carry on hugging and kissing the object of your affection. The rain seems to conspire in your madness and pours down all the heavier in celebration of your love. And somehow, as though the rain affords you some veil of privacy from prying eyes, you forget you're in the middle of a public place with people all around able to observe your outpouring of passion and you kiss on.. and on.. and on. So kiss away, young lovers, and let the rain be your orchestra and your glorious backdrop. This may be a moment you remember for the rest of your lives.
I personally love rain. I like watching it when it's heavy, and see how it transforms everything around, and I like to be in it, whether I'm walking in the street, subject to the shelter afforded by a brolly (oh yes!), or strolling around the garden with just a pair of boxer shorts as 'protection', temperature permitting of course, and feeling the cool rain on my bare skin. Once when I was holidaying in a tropical country, as the rain started to come down, I took the opportunity to make use of the hotel's outdoor swimming-pool. As the rain intensified into a full-blown storm, so did my pleasure and delight as I swam about the pool feeling the flurry of raindrops peppering my bare skin. I flung my head back and opened my mouth, trying to gulp some of the heaven-sent water down. Eveyone else thought I was quite mad but I loved every minute of it and would do it again if I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Hues in Stained Glass

Winter Hues in Stained Glass
As the nights grow longer and the days grow shorter, the cold begins to tighten its grip.

The Fair Ophelia

The Fair Ophelia
Ophelia, thou fairest of maidens, what beholdest thou in thy reflection?

Autumn colours - As cores de Outono

Autumn colours - As cores de Outono
Trees in their multicoloured autumnal apparel, a kaleidescope of hues and shades.

Poppy Field

Poppy Field
"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us and Say, For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"