Saturday, July 11, 2009

The light beyond

AS I trudged across country on my way home one cold winter’s afternoon, I became aware of a mysterious light shining through a solitary tree a short distance to my right. It seemed to emanate from an indeterminate point and gradually spread across the snow-covered ground. Little by little it grew in intensity and little by little it grew in extent. It stopped me in my tracks and I turned to look at it full on.

FOR a minute or so it continued getting brighter and wider and fiercer and I did not know what to make of it. Eventually it stopped growing and stopped spreading, and as I looked straight into it, unable to avert my gaze and overwhelmed by its intensity, I had the distinct sense of a presence within its very heart. But i saw no-one and heard nothing apart from what seemed to me to be the sound that an intense light might make were it to make any sound.

AS i gazed into the heart of that all-embracing brightness, i felt as though some being or force was reaching out to me, bathing me in its transcendent light, washing me clean of all the mental grime that clouded my head and i felt strangely cleansed and renewed. It was a feeling such as none other and it was an experience that left its indelible mark on me and instilled me with an awareness that has stayed with me all my life.

AND then the intoxicating light source began to dim and recede and as it made way for the darkness the spell was broken and hence its hold over me. Within seconds the light that had filled and overwhelmed my vision had shrunk into nothingness and the reality of my situation returned to me and my legs recovered their mobility. I hurried on, impatient to return home before the darkness of night had fully descended. I felt cold and a shiver ran up my spine, and I quickened my pace. I had the sensation that something life-changing had happened to me but I did not know what and perhaps I would never know whether the mysterious light had caused a change in me or whether I was to change over the years.

MY house now came into sight and there were welcoming lights emanating from some of the windows. I was glad to be home at last, and relieved, but a nagging uncertainty and curiosity lingered inside me which convinced me that there would be more visions to come and that perhaps there was some special purpose to my life.

THE front door opened and joyful faces welcomed me, the faces of loved ones, and behind them shone a... light, as bright as any I had ever seen, and the light embraced them and held them in its core, appearing to project them forward towards me. The next moment I was in their midst and they encircled me and I felt an intense light descend upon all of us and take us into its heart and we were all safe and happy and united as one. Nothing could harm any of us now.. nothing at all...

1 comment:

  1. OLá Me, Grata por sua visita em meu Blog, bom saber que conhece meu país, moro em Santos, bem pertinho do Guarujá. É realmente vc escreve bem meu idioma. Espero que goste das mesg , leio um pouco de inglês vou visitar sempre seu Blog. De que local vc é ?

    abraço

    ReplyDelete

Winter Hues in Stained Glass

Winter Hues in Stained Glass
As the nights grow longer and the days grow shorter, the cold begins to tighten its grip.

The Fair Ophelia

The Fair Ophelia
Ophelia, thou fairest of maidens, what beholdest thou in thy reflection?

Autumn colours - As cores de Outono

Autumn colours - As cores de Outono
Trees in their multicoloured autumnal apparel, a kaleidescope of hues and shades.

Poppy Field

Poppy Field
"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us and Say, For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"